An overview of Phonics teaching at Cherry Grove Primary School
We use the Read, Write Inc programme to teach reading and phonics in Reception and Key Stage One. All the children are regularly assessed and grouped according to their current level of phonic knowledge and skill. These groups are fluid and children will move groups throughout the year. Sessions take place daily and are taught by staff trained specifically in the programme. Early reading is crucial and we see it as one of our core responsibilities to help children decode and understand what they are reading to 'unlock' the rest of their learning and help progress their life skills.
What is Read, Write Inc (RWI)?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics-complete literacy programme, it teaches children the sounds in English, the letters that represent them, and how to form the letters when writing. Read Write Inc. Phonics includes reading books written using only the letters learnt at each level (and a small number of separately taught tricky words). The children quickly feel confident and successful.
The programme is designed for children aged 4-7. At Cherry Grove, we begin the programme in Reception and will continue teaching RWI to children beyond the age of 7 if they still need support in their reading.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
Purpose – know the purpose of every activity and share it with the children, so they know the one thing they should be thinking about
Participation – ensure every child participates throughout the lesson. Partnership work is fundamental to learning
Praise – ensure children are praised for effort and learning, not ability
Pace – teach at an effective pace and devote every moment to teaching and learning
Passion – be passionate about teaching so children can be engaged emotionally.
How will Read, Write Inc be taught?
In Reception all children will learn how to ‘read’ the sounds in words and how those sounds can be written down.
The children will:
· learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts – see below
· learn to read words using Fred talk (see explanation below) and sound blending
· read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
· work well with partners
· develop comprehension skills in stories by answering ‘Find It’ and ‘Prove It’ discussion questions
The children will:
· learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
· learn to write words by using Fred Talk
· learn to build sentences by practising sentences out loud before they write
Children will work in pairs so that they:
· answer every question
· practise every activity with their partner
· take turns in talking and reading to each other
· develop ambitious vocabulary
Year 1 and beyond
Children follow the same format as Reception but will work on complex sounds and read books appropriate to their reading level. Daily sessions are 40 minutes. Once children become fluent speedy readers they will finish the Read, Write inc programme.
We also use the Read, Write, Inc 'Fresh Start' catch-up programme for children in Key Stage 2 who have gaps in their phonic knowledge.
For more information, please see the attached document below: